Thursday, September 22, 2005

Buddy Bears

A friend of mine has recently shared his experiences about being bullied as a child. Now my experiences are in no way as bad as what he has described, but I too was bullied at school, and for some of the same reasons:
  1. I was a bit overweight- which is to say I was not a stick figure
  2. I 'developed' early and had larger breasts than the rest of my stick figure school colleagues
  3. I was athletically challenged
  4. I was intelligent and did well at school- a "square"

All this lead to the 'tough' kids bullying me just a bit.

Bullying on any level is deplorable and should not be tolerated by our society. Being the mum of a newborn, I shudder to think how I would react if I discovered she was being bullied- or being a bully.

What has caught my eye is the recent campaign against bullying - the Better Buddy Program. It is an initiative of the Alannah & Madeline Foundation (AMF) to draw national attention to the issue of bullying and to bring about a social change in our community.

The initiative is being supported by Target. Who are selling the bears (yummy Cadbury chocolate) for 70c. Target is also donating 20c for every bear sold to AMF to help prevent schoolyard bullying.

I applaud the work of these dedicated individuals, and will be going to Target to purchase my buddy bear to support them.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

And if worst comes to worst you could freeze the bars, put them in a sock, and wait for the bully in the car park.

Now that's a versatile snack !

CM - I would have been your corner in school I am sure. Though I was 10 times worse then as I am now. So I don't know how long you could have handled that :)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Capital Mum said...

Solidarity of the bullied- someone on your side is what mattered back then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home