Friday, August 26, 2005

The importance of Missy

Note: Apologies to those reading this who are likely to get emotional.

I believe that you should always give credit where credit is due, so here goes.

I had my birthday in July this year, and my In-Laws asked what I wanted. I suggested the Missy Higgins album The sound of White. I have liked her music since the first single was released and wanted to support such a talented Australian artist. Little did I know how significant that request was.

On the day I started labour we still had not picked music to take with us to the delivery suite, but when asked by The Husband, I immediately answered Missy Higgins and Clannad. When we finally made it to the hospital 14 hrs later, he put the CD into the player and pressed 'repeat all'. For the next 17 hours until the emergency caesarian we listened.

Now my labour was harsh, it stopped progressing, but the pain intensified, and eventually the baby became distressed (I already was). All throughout the CD played, but here's the thing I can only remember one song The Special Two.

The chorus of this song became one of my only foci during that tough time (the other was my rock of a husband who is without a doubt the most special man in my world at the moment). I can clearly remember hearing over and over again ''cause we are the special two". I started to focus on that- that my baby and I were the special two. It helped me get through until I was taken into theatre.

These are the lyrics of the chorus:
And we will only need each other
We'll bleed together
Our hands will not be taught to hold another's
Coz we're the special two

And we could only see each other
We'll breathe together
These arms will not be taught to need another's
Coz we're the special two

I went to the official Missy Higgins website today and sent an email describing how important her song had become to us- I burst into tears while writing it, and again when I told The Husband what I had done.

I hope she knows how important her music is to at least two of her fans.

3 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

I got confused for a second cause I was thinking of Missy Elliot. I was like 17 hours of that ! But Missy Higgins, that's a different story.

She rawks.

She apparently still does gigs at Tilleys now and then if you ever want to go. I'll baby sit !

(Hey kid, wanna see fire?)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Cthu1hu said...

I would have thought that we could take the bub with us... Tilleys is a fairly accommodating, new-age venue, after all :)

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Cass said...

I love Missy Higgins - one of my favourite Aussie singers. And I can see how that particular song would really help in a time like that.

I'm sure she'll be really moved if/when she reads the mail you sent her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home