Monday, February 06, 2006

Powered Watercraft on the Lake

There has been talk since last year about allowing limited powered watercraft (boats, water skiing) on Lake Burley Griffin (see here), and here).

I understand that the concerns are about conservation of the wetlands and noise affecting the Hospice. Pro- argumants say that the activity will not impact adversely on either of these.

Up until last weekend (28-29 Jan), I had no opinion either way. Now I do.

The Husband, Baby and I went to the Carillion on Saturday for a picnic lunch. It is usually an idillic place, surrounded by large luch trees, with the only sounds being the lap of the water, the quacking of ducks, the Carillion chiming and if you really try, the distant sound of vehicles on King's Avenue.


This Saturday was different. At Regatta Point, there was some kind of event with powered motor boats cruisign up and down. The sound was all pervasive, and definately extended into the next basin where the hospice is.

It totally ruined the atmosphere. And I can say with a certainty that if someone had picked that day for their wedding at the Carillion (it is a popular site), they would have been extremely unhappy.

Now I am not against powered watersports per se- but I think that the Lake in the centre of the city is not the place for them- perhaps one of the other two lakes (Ginninderra or Tuggeranong) where they could generate more activity in the area? I don't know. All I know is that if it is included in the Territory Recreational Plan, then the politicians better think long and hard about the impact on people going for a casual picnic.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Mikey_Capital said...

I concurr. What's the difference between that and hoons dragging off on the freeway?

Mode of transport?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home